Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Brumbies rugby live kick off.

The Brumbies and former Super Rugby captain Stephen Hoiles have parted company after the Brumbies released him from the final year of his contract.

After six years with the Brumbies - including the 2009 and 2010 seasons as Captain - Hoiles and the club came to a rugby-based decision to part ways on Wednesday.

Super 15 rugby live


Brumbies rugby live


Hoiles has battled an Achilles problem for the last 18 months and only played the opening game of the 2011 season.

Although Hoiles has made significant progress on his recovery, recent tests showed he was not going to be fit for the opening rounds of the 2012 Super Rugby season.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Brumbies and it was a privilege to play and also Captain a team that has such a strong connection with its community," Hoiles said.

"I want to thank all of the players, coaches, staff, and Brumbies fans and members for all of their support over the past six years.

"Because of my injury this past year has been a difficult one for the club and for me but we have had a good discussion and I feel very comfortable with the decision we have mutually agreed on.

"My rehab is coming along well and it's my intention to return to the playing field in the not too distant future. Where exactly that will be is something that will unravel in the months ahead.

"I wish the Brumbies all the best for the future and I am confident that it will once again be a highly successful club."

The Brumbies coaching staff were complimentary about the way Hoiles handled the matter.

"I have been impressed with the way that Stephen has handled this situation and how he has been able to put the Brumbies first. I commend him for his approach," Head Coach Jake White said.

"Stephen has been an outstanding member of the Brumbies for a long time and it is sad to see him move on.